Arguably on of the most valuable AIA Vitality benefits is the discounted Virgin Australia flights.
Depending on your status level with Vitality, you can get up to 50% cashback on the base fare of a domestic or international flight in economy or premium economy.
As an example, I searched for economy flights from Sydney to Christmas Island for July and the total base fare was $1640. This means as an AIA Vitality Platinum member, I would get back $820.
Even on shorter domestic flights, you can easily save a few hundred dollars with the 2 status cashbacks and 10% off any other VA flights. So you should easily get over $1000 per year in value.
There are a few things you need to remember:
- Flights must be operated by Virgin Australia with a VA flight number
- Flights must booked via the AIA Vitality website
- Discount is based on your status at the time of booking, not flight date
- Only flights highlighted with a green AIA Vitality flag are eligible
- Only 2 status based cashbacks on the first two flights booked in each membership year, the rest are the standard 10%
- You must have also completed your AIA Vitality Health Check within the last 18 months before booking
- You must booked at least 10 days before your departure date
- You can combine this with part payment using points, but I wouldn’t suggest that as it reduces the value you actually get. Rather save the points for redemption bookings or upgrades.
This benefit used to be on Qantas flights and this is where I saved over $2000 last year. So depending on your travel plans and habits, the value you get could be more or less. But either way, it should easily cover the cost of the annual policy and still save you money.
For more details and info on the flight benefit, click here to download AIA’s PDF.
If you don’t already have a Vitality insurance policy, click here to get a quote from Life Insurance Direct. You can learn more here about how to take out the cheapest policy (keep your existing arrangements) purely to join the programme to save and make money.